My hop, skip and leap across the Atlantic, and all the crazy that comes with it!

Monday, August 13, 2007

And England so far...

I find myself walking around Sheffield feeling like I've landed in Lilliput. Nothing here comes in extra large anything - cars that would be considered mid-sized sedans in Canada are gas hogging monsters, while SUVs are regularly graffitied (and their owners made broke by the cost of fuel!). Streets are narrower, packaging is smaller (imagine having to look really, really hard to find a 500mL bottle of shampoo...that's considered an 'extra value' size instead of the standard!), housing and storage are smaller...even the refrigerators are smaller. Like, seriously way smaller. Like, we go to the grocery store every two to three days because right now we share a fridge with four other people and we only have that much space because two of them seem to eat only take-away and canned things. I'm starting to find some attitudes shifting already - like, it's nice not to be stuck with shitty shampoo for an entire half liter, and tiny economical cars mean that it's going to be much more feasible for us to drive one eventually. But I will certainly miss being able to buy 48 rolls of toilet paper in one package at the supermarket. There's nothing like having enough ass-wipe in stock to build a dam, or t-p an entire street at once.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I noticed similar cultural differences when I was visiting Italy earlier this year. Funny how things we take for granted like giant cars are absolutely not the norm.

jazzy said...

small packaging is so good sometimes....like when you actually only want a very small amount of something and alas! they sell it in tiny quantities! Something I miss very much about Hong Kong!